Is there anything more heart breaking then caring for a loved one with dementia? The mission of the Alzheimer’s Respite Care Program (ARCP) is to ease the burden and enhance the quality of life for the family member caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or Dementia.
By training and matching volunteers who provide relief in the form of socialization, education and emotional support, family caregivers get the break they need.
ARCP is also a valuable community-wide resource for education and information about Alzheimer’s Disease.
Bilingual staff and volunteers are available.
What information do volunteers receive?
ARCP volunteers are specially trained and educated on the following topics:
- The different stages of the illness
- Typical behaviors and how to best deal with them
- The latest research
- The best way to support the family caregiver
- Available community resources
Volunteers are also invited to monthly meetings which include guest speakers. This education helps the volunteers provide the best experience for you and your loved one.
How Do Volunteers Help?
Our ARCP volunteers are extraordinary and caring individuals who spend 2-3 hours each week with families to offer companionship for both the individual with AD and/or the family caregiver.
By providing emotional support and respite, the full time caregiver experiences relief from what can be overwhelming responsibility. The individual with AD looks forward to the visits with a new friend.
What the Volunteers Do NOT Do?
No hands-on medical care is provided, such as toileting, bathing or dispensing of medications. The companionship and support they provide along with a great link to outside resources is priceless.
How Much Does it Cost?
Our program is funded through the Ocean County Office of Senior Services, private donations, and fundraisers. All funds go towards volunteer training, background checks, volunteer insurance, and administrative costs. Because of the generosity of people like you, we are able to provide the families we assist without charge. To make a tax-deductible donation, visit our donation page or send a check made out to ARCP to 253 Chestnut Street, Toms River, NJ 08753. Our tax ID number is: 223197568.
How Do I Register for the ARCP?
We try to make registering for our free respite care as easy as possible! Just follow these steps:
- Contact us and let us know you’re interested in the ARCP by calling (732) 505-2273 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will conduct a telephone screening to make sure the individual is appropriate for the program.
- We will conduct a home visit to meet your family, discover what type of help is needed and determine which volunteer(s) will be a good match for your family.
- An introductory meeting will then be scheduled with the volunteer and ARCP staff member. At this time, you and the volunteer will determine the dates and times for subsequent visits.